Mold can grow in a moist environment between 24 hours and 48 hours. It is a simple microscopic fungus that can thrive anywhere there is moisture. Mold is a double-edged sword that enriches our soils and destroys our homes, courtesy of its ability to decay organic matter. If you are battling mold or are concerned about the possibility of mold invading your home, hiring the best water damage restoration experts you can find in all of Seattle, WA, is advisable. 

Most people are aware that moisture breeds mold, but what they aren’t aware of is how urgent it is to act fast and eradicate it before it spreads. This article will cover how mold grows and the various factors that accelerate or suppress its growth. 

How Mold Grows

Mold colonies are often referred to as mildew during their infancy. They begin on any moist surface in your homes like ceilings, cardboard, tiles, carpeting, wallpapers, drywall, plants, fabric, insulation, food, or any organic material. These colonies digest all organic material and usually destroy any material they rely on for growth before spreading to and devastating adjacent areas. They reproduce through tiny light seeds called spores which travel through the air and carry mold all over your home. 

The mold growth rate on your property is difficult to predict because several critical variables determine it. Where there are ideal conditions for growth, mold may take control of your home in twelve days. 

How Long Has the Water Been There?

The speed of mold growth depends on how long the contaminated water has rested on the surfaces. Where the leak has been left unattended for more than three days, there is a high chance that mold will develop very fast in that area. It is advisable to fix any leaks and fix water damage immediately. Keeping your home clean and dry is the best way to avoid mold. 

How Warm Is Your Home? 

Mold’s rate of growth is also affected by temperature. Homes that are in warm climates are more susceptible to mold growth than those in cooler areas. Maintaining your home at the coldest temperature possible after undergoing the effects of floods is advisable. Reducing your home’s temperature will remarkably slow down the mold growth rate and raise the chances of eradicating the colonies for good.

Is Your Home Well Ventilated?

After water damage in your home, it’s crucial to ensure that your house is well ventilated. A well-ventilated house reduces the speed at which the mold grows, thus reducing the risks of mold infestation. Ventilation slows the growth rate because it cools your property and carries away the damp air and spores away from your property. 

Organic Surfaces

Mold tends to thrive on organic surfaces it can feed on (which results in the decay of the surface). Certain surfaces, e.g., organic wall paint and wooden areas, are conducive to mold growth. The mold will latch onto these surfaces and multiply exponentially to cover your entire home (where there is no intervention) in about two weeks. 

Homeowners are correct to assume that when your house has a lot of organic surfaces, it will be more vulnerable to mold infestations. If you live in a very humid area, you are well advised to outfit your home with mostly inorganic surfaces. In most instances, inorganic materials are cheaper than the organic alternative. These materials will drastically decrease the chances of mold’s growth and spread by denying the organic surfaces it relies on for food. 

Why Homeowners Must Remove Mold Immediately

Mold removal is not a project to procrastinate. Every second that goes by increases the severity of your mold problem. Not only will this make the eventual restoration more expensive, but it will also expose your family to serious health risks posed by exposure to mold. As soon as you spot mold in your home, call in a professional water damage restoration company or gear up to research safe and effective DIY mold removal. 

It is not advisable to remove mold without professional safety gear and equipment that professionals use to ensure they do not get exposed to the spores released when mold colonies are disturbed. Calling in a professional may be cheaper than the cumulative cost of purchasing all the equipment and safety gear necessary for safe DIY mold removal. Additionally, you may have difficulty identifying and stopping the source of the water damage. This is the only way to guarantee that once the mold is removed, it does not grow again.

In conclusion, it is very important to remove the mold immediately when you see it in your home. This is because mold can cause serious health risks, and it can also damage your property. Calling a professional water damage restoration company is the best way to ensure that the mold is removed safely and effectively.

By Manali

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *